Quick and easy to make, using the Instant Pot to cook beets is a game changer. See how you can get perfectly cooked beets in the pressure cooker!
What are beets?
Beets, or Beetroot, are a root vegetable that are usually red but also come in a golden variety as well. As well as the beets themselves, the leaves of beets can also be eaten either raw or cooked.
Instant Pot Beets
I love beets — they’re great for meal prepping as they last from 5-6 days in the fridge when stored properly. They’re one of those “buffet style” ingredients that I love to have on hand so I can easily toss it into a salad or another meal prep.
Other than meal prepping, beets are a delicious (and beautifully coloured) addition as a side to any weeknight dinner (or holiday dinner).
Usually I roast them in the oven but sometimes that can take more than an hour if the beets are on the larger side. So today, I’m sharing just how easy it is to make Instant Pot Beets! It’s super quick to prep for and the skins peel off so easy.
What is the difference between golden and red beets?
For this Instant Pot Beet recipe, I use golden beets but it can easily be swapped in for red beets. Golden beets are a little on the sweeter side in comparison to red beets. Also, they totally stain less in comparison to red beets! Other than that, everything about cooking beets in the Instant Pot is exactly the same.
Does the size of the beets matter?
Kinda of. Mine are pretty large (circumference was almost 10″ which means the diameter is around 3″, yes, I busted out my measuring tape!) so I pressure cooked them for 32 minutes. I find anything around that general size to need 30-35 minutes.
If your beets are on the smaller side, say under 6″ in circumference, I’d pressure cook for between 15-20 minutes.
To be honest with you, I almost always eyeball the size of my beets and go with big = 30, small = 20 and it has yet to fail me. Somehow it always works out perfectly! I call it Instant Pot magic.
What You’ll Need To Cook Beets in the Pressure Cooker
- a or the that came with your Instant Pot.
How To Make Instant Pot Beets
Cut off the stems of the beets if you purchased them with the stem on (around 1″ from the beet) and give them a rinse.
In the Instant Pot, place in the trivet, water, and beets.
Close the lid, set the valve to seal, and set it to cook for 32 minutes on Manual (less if your beets are smaller, see above).
When done, quick release. Remove the beets, slice off the ends, peel, slice, and serve!
How to easily peel Instant Pot Beets
All I do after cutting off the ends is use a paper towel to gently “rub” the skin off from top to bottom. It should easily peel off.
Also, be careful as the beets will be hot so let them cool off first if needed.
HOW TO USE INSTANT POT BEETS
Cooked beets can be used in many ways and can be added to smoothies, soups, salads, and side dishes, etc.
Here are some ways to enjoy them:
- Add it into hummus to make a beet hummus
- Blend a delicious beet smoothie for a delicious breakfast.
- Add the beets to your salads and grain bowls.
- Combine with burrata cheese and some flavoured oil (or pesto) to make a burrata salad.
Can you freeze cooked beets?
Yes. After slicing, freeze the cooked beets on a parchment lined baking tray in a single layer. Once frozen, add them into a freezer safe bag to keep for up to 6 months. This keeps them from freezing stuck together!
Instant Pot Beets
- 3beets, large
- A steamer basket or the trivet that came with your Instant Pot
- Cut off the stems of the beets if you purchased them with the stem on (around 1" from the beet) and give them a rinse.
- In the Instant Pot, place in the trivet, water, and beets.
- Close the lid, set the valve to seal, and set it to cook for 32 minutes on Manual (less if your beets are smaller, see note).
- When done, quick release. Remove the beets, slice off the ends, peel, slice, and serve!
MORE DINNER SIDES YOU MAY LIKE
- Easy Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Almonds
- Lemon Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
- Peanut Thai Chili Brussels Sprouts
RESOURCES AND TIPS FOR MEAL PREPPING
- How To Cook Chicken Breasts Perfectly
- What Is An Instant Pot
- Tips To Help You Meal Prep For The Week Successfully
- Tips for Meal Prepping on a Budget
- 7 Freezer Friendly Chicken Marinades
- 5 Freezer Friendly Marinades
- Meal Prep Support Group:
Other places to connect with me